Monday, July 12, 2010

Thanks for the comments!

Yes, you guys have come to the same conclusion I had about moving so that is why I was looking at this other little town 35 miles away. It is also in the middle of nowhere and smaller than the town we currently live in. The only test score that was significantly higher in that other town was reading.

After much thought and talking to Matt, and driving around the town this weekend we came to the conclusion that the phrase "The grass is always greener on the other side" applied to our consideration of moving. We could drive literally an hour in any direction and the schools would be no better. I've learned that by talking to other mothers at baseball games over the week who have looked into it, and talking to people in our branch who work in the school districts over the areas as aides or secretaries.

So we will not rule out this other town yet, but we can't see that it will be much better.

3 comments:

Dane G said...

Homeschool all the way.

1. Moving is a pain.
2. Commuting is a pain.
3. No one knows your kids or their needs better than you do.
4. If your kids need interaction, you can travel with them 2 or 3 times a week to other areas, rather than making Matt sacrifice his parenting role to a commute so that your kids can have a "better school"
5. If you need any help, Jenn chose to homeschool our kids, my brother and his wife homeschool theirs, my sister and her husband homeschool theirs, and our Dad is a retired school teacher.

homeschooling Mama said...

I feel the same way. Who knows your kids better than you do and how they learn. That's one of the things I have loved about homeschooling is that I can tailor to the needs of each of my kids. Although I know every family can't homeschool I am definitely pro homeschooling and I would say to pray about it.

Us, the Gilson's said...

There are so many curricula - these are some books that Dane and I found useful:

Homeschooling Methods - Paul Suarez
The Well-adjusted Child - Rachel Gathercole

Currently we are utilizing the unschooling method, as our primary method, and letting the children lead us to what their interests are.

Good luck, have fun, and let me know if you have any more questions.