Sunday, September 27, 2009

This and That

Well, I finally decided to start my own book club in the daytime and I emailed the sisters in the ward to see if they would want to participate. I had about 12 sisters get back to me saying they'd love it and thanking me for taking the initiative and being in charge of it. I picked the book Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier that a friend of mine recommended me to read (thanks!) After reading it I thought it would be a great first book for my book club, and sure enough, I was right! This seems to be a very popular book that not many people have read but they've heard about it and have always wanted to read it. I have some people coming just because it is Rebecca! I am so excited to host it on Oct. 26 just to get a group of people together again and discuss a book! I have really missed book discussions since we moved here because I haven't been able to go to them often.

There is a family that recently moved into the ward that has children the same age as our youngest ones and we've been getting together for a play date. We need to invite some more people but it is nice with just the 4 children also. She and her husband asked if we could switch babysitting on weekends so we could go on dates, so last weekend we took turns watching the kids and it was a lot of fun to go on a date without paying for babysitters! Too bad this family is only staying until May. That seems to be a continuing trend in this ward...it's very transitory. All the younger families rent and then buy homes in other wards or move away once school is over. It's really too bad.

Also, two families just had the fathers laid off work this week. That seems to be happening frequently in this ward. I hope those families can find work here and not have to move. They both live really close to us and we'd hate to see them move!

And finally, Scouting is pretty fun! I came to congratulate my old CTR 8 class (I was released in July from teaching them and made their Den Leader instead) on their performance during the Primary Presentation today and they didn't want me to leave and gave me all hugs. I do miss teaching them. Being their Den Leader is fun also, though. They are crazy kids, but I enjoy them and scouting is, well, fun, like I said. We went to an Arboretum last den meeting and we saw a water snake, a turtle, and a frog! I wanted to catch the frog but my co-den leader advised me that probably wasn't setting the greatest example...hehe. I'm very excited James is joining the pack in November's pack meeting.

We haven't been up to that much, just school. I started teaching Kaylee her letters last week and we did a fall craft. That's about all we've been doing!

2 comments:

Kelli said...

Its good to hear from you again and find out what is going on! Good luck with the book group, sounds like you will have a great turn out!

Kristen said...

Yeah! I am glad that you started up a book club! Do you think you are going to try to stay in the area now?